Alien9800 Commands

Questions about Rifidi Workbench

Moderators: Matt, kyle

alho

Alien9800 Commands

Post by alho » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:56 pm

I'm trying to follow the Workbench setup instructions in the User's Guide on the wiki:
http://wiki.rifidi.org/index.php/Workbench_User's_Guide
, but I don't see the Alien 9800 Commands in the Command View on Workbench, as per the instructions.

How do I access the command set, in order to issue "Alien9800-GetTagList"?

Thanks

a

alho

Re: Alien9800 Commands

Post by alho » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Just to make it clearer what the question refers to, we're just starting to take an initial look at Rifidi, to see how it works, so I'm running down the cited Workbench User's Guide
from the top. In the 'Example Use of the Edge Server' section, the instructions more or less correspond to what happens on the screen (except that Ifound the new session did not appear without re-booting the Workbench, and some parameter changes evidently require the screen to be refreshed, or changes committed). The stickier issue comes at point 6, which, in full, reads:
6.We now have a session, but no commands to put in the session. Go to the command view in the bottom left and right click on the folder marked "Alien9800-GetTagList" under "Alien9800 Commands".
I'm not seeing the "Alien9800 Commands" folder, although two other Alien folders are listed ("Alien Commands" and "Alien Autonomous Commands").

Can anyone point us in the right direction?

Thanks.

Matt
Organization: Pramari

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi alho,

Just use the command under "Alien Commands". We changed the name from "Alien9800" to "Alien" because the commands are generic and will work for any model of Alien.

-Matt

alho

Post by alho » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:12 am

Hello Matt.

Thanks for the reply.

That was my first assumption, i.e. that the folder had been renamed. However, the instructions I am following refer to a 'Alien9800-GetTagList' folder within the top-level folder, which I also don't see. I assumed that this also must have been renamed, to 'Alien-Poll' (?), but right-clicking this and selecting 'Create Command Template' does not appear to create anything.

After a while, I realised that nothing new appears (sessions, Command Templates) without restarting Workbench, on my system. However, even then I don't get the parameters described in the wiki (although a Tag Type is displayed, the instructions refer to adjusting antennae, and "anything else you like", which don't appear to be there). Furthermore, if I delete a reader and restart Workbench, and then recreate a Command Template by right-clicking on the folder, I then find a large number of Command Templates listed (about 20), not only under Alien-Poll, but under Alien-Push-Start and Alien-Push-Start. It looks as though all the templates are preserved even when they have been deleted. If we close down the Edge Server and the Workbench, the Command Templates are still there, but this time 15 of them, rather than 20 .

We are using the latest client/server version, and have tried this on more than one O/S, but are finding it difficult to relate what we are seeing to the instructions in the wiki. The Edge Server command window displays "could not instantiate fileappender" - does that have a bearing on anything? Have we got hold of an old version of the instructions? This is the URL we're looking at:
http://wiki.rifidi.org/index.php/Workbench_User's_Guide

Thanks,

alho

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi alho,

At the moment workbench is getting phased out of our product suite, so if you are having trouble with it I would recommend abandoning it in favor of the command line. If you look at the most recent documents (located in the "docs" folder) and look at the User Guide you will see instructions for how to create, start, and stop reader plugins.

If you still have trouble let me know and I'll help you out.

-Matt

alho

Post by alho » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:22 am

Okay Matt. Thanks for the info. Seems a shame, because it looked like it could be such a useful tool. I guess we'll give up on it, then, for the time being. I wonder if the instructions should be changed accordingly on the Wiki, to stop anyone else going down the same blind alley.

Regards,

a.

aijam
Organization: Dematic

Post by aijam » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:39 pm

Matt wrote:Hi alho,

At the moment workbench is getting phased out of our product suite, so if you are having trouble with it I would recommend abandoning it in favor of the command line. If you look at the most recent documents (located in the "docs" folder) and look at the User Guide you will see instructions for how to create, start, and stop reader plugins.

If you still have trouble let me know and I'll help you out.

-Matt
Where is the "docs" folder?
Please show me the link.
Txs.

bppause

Post by bppause » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:19 pm

here is docs on forums;

users guide
http://wiki.rifidi.org/index.php/User%27s_Guide

developers guide
http://wiki.rifidi.org/index.php/Developer%27s_Guide

but in the install of rifidi edge there is a docs folders where these should exist locally for u