Confidex and Motorola xr480

Questions about Rifidi Workbench

Moderators: Matt, kyle

duplesh
Organization: Company

Confidex and Motorola xr480

Post by duplesh » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum so bear with me if this is not the right place for these ccomments/questions :oops:

I will be receiving shipment of XR480 Motorola readers and confidex casey tags - could anyone tell me of this mixture will work with the Rifidi suite of products for testing purposes - I see from an earlier post that and XR400 worked without issues?

Secondly being new to the forum, I'm also new to the whole RFID tagging outfit and was wondering if any one has some basic guidelines for installation purposes. Setup would be approx 8 readers, 16 antennas (2 per reader), and a server running what software - do you get software shipped with the readers to interrogate the tags? Then cable distances, where's the reader supposed to be in relation to the antennas, what is the maximum distance apart and so forth....

Your help would be greatly appreciated and I definitely would not like to look like a fool when this thing is installed and nothing works..... :) - Ask me to setup Cisco routers and do IPtables....I'll have a blast - but this is getting to me!

Thanks in advance!
Heinrich

Matt
Organization: Pramari

Re: Confidex and Motorola xr480

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:22 pm

Hi Heinrich,

Sorry about the delayed response.

I believe the XR480 supports the LLRP specification, so we should be able to connect to it through that. I have used XR400s without problem, so I assume the XR480 will work as well.

As for the tags, they do give me some pause. Right now I think our LLRP plugin only officially supports 96 bit tags, and if I'm not mistaken those Confidex tags are 240 bit. This might cause the data on the tag to be truncated. I'm not sure about this, though, so your mileage may vary.

As for your final question, our software will certainly read those tags just fine. Write operations are not officially supported at the moment with LLRP, however. I'm not entirely sure about the software with the XR480s, but for setup there is generally a web interface for all the readers that you can use. If there are different "modes" you will have to set the readers to LLRP mode before you can talk to it from the edge server.

Let me know if you have any more questions, and I'll try my best to answer.

-Matt