No of readers that can be connected with rifidi

Questions about developing the edge server core as well as applications

Moderators: Matt, kyle

karthik9891

No of readers that can be connected with rifidi

Post by karthik9891 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:17 am

Hello All,

I've just started exploring rifidi. While exploring the same with the rifidi's SDK and edge server, a few questions popped up.

a) I've built a simple rifidi application that runs on top of edge server 3.5 (with the help of rifidi SDK 3.5). I'm able to connect to 2 readers (which we have in our environment) and get the tag reads from both of them. Just wanted to know if there are any constraints in interms of no of readers that I can connect to from the custom rifidi application that is being developed? I'm under the impression that I can connect to any no of readers since this being an open source. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

b) Does rifidi supports dot net out of the box (ie:- if the SDK's and edge server is available in dot net as well). The reason being we've a dot net application that would potentially need to retrieve the tag reads for display. We are just curious to know if the middleware can be dot net compliant as well?

Thanks in advance,

Regards
Karthik

bppause
Organization: Pramari

Re: No of readers that can be connected with rifidi

Post by bppause » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:59 pm

1..the limitations of numbet of readers rifidi supports is based more of the hardware ..cpu..mEmory ..number of tags per second requirement..complexity of the events..as far as licensing Rifidi can be used for non commercial purposes ..any commercial use requires a license from Transcends..GPL v2 is the license agreement

2..as of now rifidi sdk only supports java..u can integrate to rifidi via rest interface or MQTT if u would like to access tag event data from an external application developed in dot..net for example ..this is how we've integrated with other ERP..CRM..custom developed solutions in the past ..u can learn how to use these integration methods on wiki.rifidi.net

karthik9891

Post by karthik9891 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:20 am

Many thanks for your reply,

I'm a little lost subject to licensing. If rifidi claims to be an open source, it means I can use for commercial purpose under the open source license agreement right?

bppause
Organization: Pramari

Post by bppause » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:02 pm

Rifidi is licensed under GPLv2 so it can be used for non-commercial use.

GPLv2 allows for dual licensing so if you require Rifidi for commercial use you can contact Transcends sales@transcends.co for the appropriate commercial license as Transcends is the licensor and owns the copyright to the Rifidi source

GPLv2 terms are included in server home of Rifidi edge (license.txt) and also during windows installer wizard

nurban
Organization: PMRS, Inc.

Post by nurban » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:27 pm

karthik9891 wrote:a) I've built a simple rifidi application that runs on top of edge server 3.5 (with the help of rifidi SDK 3.5). I'm able to connect to 2 readers (which we have in our environment) and get the tag reads from both of them. Just wanted to know if there are any constraints in interms of no of readers that I can connect to from the custom rifidi application that is being developed? I'm under the impression that I can connect to any no of readers since this being an open source. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I have a production environment running on 3.3 with a fairly heavy custom application processing the tag reads. It has been running with 54 readers for about a year now without issue.

The only limit I have encountered is hardware, as was already said. If you try to do a large amount of processing during each tag read or have a really huge number of readers/tags, you will eventually find a limit to the number of readers you can handle. But the limit is high enough that you should never hit it through normal use, even in a large deployment.