The Future of Rifidi and RFID

The Forum for Non-Technical questions

Moderators: Matt, kyle, Moderators

nurban
Organization: PMRS, Inc.

The Future of Rifidi and RFID

Post by nurban » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:48 pm

Although it was never busy, I can't help but notice the forum seems to be really slowing down as of late. Similarly, downloads of Rifidi Edge Server have been trending down for several years now:
EdgeDownloadStats.png
EdgeDownloadStats.png (62.49 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
However, when I search the web for "RFID Edge Server", or even "RFID Server", Rifidi is still a top result. Although it's pretty quiet here, I'd be curious to hear any thoughts on what the future holds. Is Rifidi losing relevancy in the changing world of RFID? Is RFID itself becoming a less popular, or even obsolete technology? I've found Rifidi suits my needs well (and has been running with almost no maintenance at this point), but the declining popularity forces me to question what lies ahead.

bppause
Organization: Pramari

Re: The Future of Rifidi and RFID

Post by bppause » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:15 pm

We have been watching the trends as well. What we have seen at least at Transcends is yes the number of downloads is declining but we are seeing less tinkering and more real projects. Another observation is once a Rifidi implementation is in production it just runs with very few issues therefore we have seen very few clients looking to upgrade unless there is a feature/fix that is absolutely necessary.

We are still getting a lot of product questions and sales requests via email outside the forums though we do encourcage folks to use the forums when questions are more technical in nature

As far as RFID market trends having a impact possibly but we have yet to see a replacement for the problems RFID can solve. One challenge we see is how long it takes to implement a end to end solution ranging from 6 - 18 months (1 - 3 facilities) as not one install seems to be the same based on physics. Rifidi helps solve many of these short comings that are not handled by the hardware or configuration setup. Some of our focus for future releases is how can Rifidi shorten the implementation timeframe through auto tuning (in particular power settings) and configuration.

Another interesting trend when looking deeper into the data is China from 2006 to 2013 is a 2 to 1 ratio as compared to USA. 2013 and beyond is a 1 to 1 ratio so possibly a slow down in the number of downloads from China is having a impact. That being said we also see an slight increase in usage in USA, Europe and Lain America.

We are currently planning to release Rifidi Edge 3.7 in a few weeks.

Note: As you have filtered in your chart we are also seeing less use of emulator as more people seem to have access to RFID hardware which is also impacting teh overall downloads. Emulator was are flagship product and until late 2009 main product which is when we released the Edge Server.