Connecting to a reader

The Forum for Non-Technical questions

Moderators: Matt, kyle, Moderators

Daniel
Organization: Apes

Connecting to a reader

Post by Daniel » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:47 am

Hi,

so far I've been using the emulator to work with the server, but yesterday I got an Alien reader with a serial-Wifi converter.

My idea is to connect the reader to the Raspberry Pi without using an external router. But, to be honest, my knowledge about networks is not very limited. Do you think I can achieve this setting up the Raspberry as a DHCP Server and connecting the reader to this broadcasted signal?

I know is a long shot to ask this here, but mybe you guys have implemented a similar system and can give me some lights...

Thanks,

Daniel

nurban
Organization: PMRS, Inc.

Re: Connecting to a reader

Post by nurban » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 am

I'm not too familiar with the networking capabilities of the Raspberry Pi, but if it can be configured as a DHCP server, I don't see why this wouldn't work. You will probably want to assign a static IP to your reader from the Raspberry Pi.

That said, is there a particular reason you can't use a switch? The Alien reader needs power either way, so why not make things easy on yourself and use one cable for everything with POE? Would also save you some time setting everything up.

Daniel
Organization: Apes

Re: Connecting to a reader

Post by Daniel » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:33 pm

Good news!!

I made it, I used a raspberry lesson as a guide, I just set it up for wireless... Now, I just need to check that i'm assigning static IP. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm using a RPI because once you set up one you can clone all the set-up, so if I repeat it, it will be almost plug and play. And the most important reason is cheaper!

I'm going to leave the link just in case someone needs it.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/net ... /README.md

Thanks,

Daniel