Where modeling and return RSSI

The Forum for Non-Technical questions

Moderators: Matt, kyle, Moderators

scl
Organization: HFUT

Where modeling and return RSSI

Post by scl » Tue May 20, 2014 5:15 am

Hi,
Sorry for my English,I am doing about Indoor Location Sensing.Now ,edge server and emulator can be connected,and draw some demo through designer,but the model is not i want .it just can identify the tag,not locate it. I need rifidi return rssi to eclipse, so i can locate where the tag.

nurban
Organization: PMRS, Inc.

Re: Where modeling and return RSSI

Post by nurban » Wed May 21, 2014 8:37 am

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a way to simulate RSSI using the Emulator. However, if you happen to have an actual reader on hand, it shouldn't be too difficult to configure it to send RSSI to Rifidi.

scl

Post by scl » Wed May 21, 2014 10:01 pm

nurban wrote:As far as I'm aware, there isn't a way to simulate RSSI using the Emulator. However, if you happen to have an actual reader on hand, it shouldn't be too difficult to configure it to send RSSI to Rifidi.
As I run a demo, I create a reader in the edge server , put a session and a command in the reader.Also I create a reader and some tags,then open the reader ,we can see some information about the tags,the following picture shows.There is an option about RSSI,but the RSSI is 0, Can I understand that RSSI can be got or not? Or RSSi can not be got completely through software. i will be appreciated for your answer,Thank you !
捕获.PNG
捕获.PNG (3.89 KiB) Viewed 11878 times

nurban

Post by nurban » Thu May 22, 2014 8:49 am

You can most definitely get the RSSI using the software. However, you cannot simulate the RSSI using the emulator application. You'll need a real reader, the emulator readers will always give you 0.

scl

Post by scl » Fri May 23, 2014 3:39 am

nurban wrote:You can most definitely get the RSSI using the software. However, you cannot simulate the RSSI using the emulator application. You'll need a real reader, the emulator readers will always give you 0.
OK! I got it ! Thank you very much!

scl

Post by scl » Mon May 26, 2014 3:11 am

Can you tell me how to get the RSSI using the software in details? I need to get the value of RSSI to Achieve positioning!!! Thank you!

nurban

Post by nurban » Tue May 27, 2014 8:54 am

First, you'll need to configure your reader to send RSSI along with the other tag data. How you do this depends on the reader you're using. For an Alien reader, you'll need to set TagListFormat to Custom. Then, make sure RSSI is part of your TagListCustomFormat (ex. Tag:%i, Rssi:%m).

On the Rifidi side of things, I believe there is a getRssi() method defined under org.rifidi.edge.adapter.alien.messages.AlienTag that might work, but I can't say I've ever tried it. You can also go about retrieving it yourself, which will require authoring your own method.

Matt
Organization: Pramari

Post by Matt » Wed May 28, 2014 12:23 am

You can simulate RSSI with the emulator without too much trouble if you are running in eclipse by hacking up an Alien adapter. The method is crude but it works in a pinch if you don't have access to real hardware and need to test RSSI interactions.

Here's a simple example of what you can do (line 83 of AlienTagReadEventFactory.java):

Code: Select all

if (alienTag.getRssi() != null) {
			//retVal.addExtraInformation(TagReadEvent.RSSI, alienTag.getRssi());
			double rand = (Math.random() * 200);
			if(this.readerID.equals("Alien_1")) {
				retVal.addExtraInformation(TagReadEvent.RSSI, 200.0 );
			} else {
				retVal.addExtraInformation(TagReadEvent.RSSI, 100.0);
			}
		}
This will set the RSSI of tags seen on reader Alien_1 to 200 and all other Alien readers to 100. Just make this code change, then swap out the Alien in your run configuration and connect to the emulator like normal.

Eventually we'd like to offer RSSI as a programmable option in the emulator, but until then this will work.