Problem with Rifidi Designer

All questions related to the usage of Rifidi Designer

Moderators: Matt, kyle, Moderators

Mehad
Organization: none

Problem with Rifidi Designer

Post by Mehad » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:34 am

Hi
really I have a lot of quationes about Rifidi designer. First of all I download RifidiDesigner V1.3, but when I work on it I can't see the layout and the minimap windows??? How I can solve this broblem ( I have Java 6 on my system ).
The most importent quations is that I have a project dependes on RFID technalogy , and I need for a software to help me on building or make a simulation for it. The project I work on it is an automatic vehaical identification or traffic inspection point by use RFID of course, and I want to make simulation for this project by use this software , can I do that???
If I can, how can I add the reader that I need for this purpose, also the tags .
additionaly ,I need here to add cars ! is thair any way to do all of this!!!
Mehad

jochen_pramari
Organization: Pramari

Re: Problem with Rifidi Designer

Post by jochen_pramari » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:51 am

For your fist problem you need to get more specific:
Please give us some data on the machine you are running designer on (CPU, RAM, GPU, ...).
Next we need to know the OS (Linux/WinXP/Vista).
And finally the exact version of your JDK.

For your other questions:
Yes, different entites can be added to Designer. We are still working on the long promised 2.0 Version of Designer which will include a completely revamped entities API, docs for that will follow soon after release.
You will need considerable Java experience and some 3d models to create new entities like a car.

CU
Jochen

Mehad

Post by Mehad » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:39 am

Hello again

CPU 2.4 GHZ, 512 MB of RAM and I don,t know what is my GPU, but there is thing I didn't minstion it before, that is, when I try to work by the designer for the irst time it didn't work so I try to download some software for my PC, I mean from the CD's that come with it , and after that I could see the layout of the designer ,but not the minimap window, and after that I made a format for my PC and download the software again and I couldn't see the layout and minimap again!!

I have JRE 6 at my pc,not JDK.

you said that you will realse new version , but don't say when? . I don't have a lot of time , so please help me to know how I add new reader ( LR-2000) or any type that you know we can use for automatic vehaical identfication ,and new tag windshield tag for example or any one else for this pourpose, please.

last thing , what is the relationship between the simulation that we do on designer and the Rifidi emualtor and tagstreamer, can you give me an example?? :!: :?:

Mehad

Post by Mehad » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:46 am

sorry I didn't say thank you for your response.

CU
Mehad

kyle
Name: Kyle

Post by kyle » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:18 pm

Mehad,
I cannot answer the questions about designer, but I can answer about the relationship between designer and emulator/tag streamer. Rifidi uses a client-server architecture, where the core part of Rifidi is called the 'engine'. The engine handles such things as creating readers, starting readers, and placing tags on and removing tags from readers. Then there are UIs such as the Emulator UI and Designer UI that talk to the engine over RMI. So the Emulator UI and the Designer UI make calls to the Rifidi engine in exactly the same way. For example, when you drag and drop a tag onto an antenna in the Emulator UI, the Emulator UI makes an RMI call to the engine. When a tag passes through a gate in Designer, it makes the same RMI call to the engine.

For more information see http://wiki.rifidi.org/index.php/Emulat ... on_summary, especially the engine RMI interface page.

Also, we hope to have the new Designer out within the next couple of weeks.
-Kyle

jochen_pramari

Post by jochen_pramari » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:24 pm

Kyle explained the relationship and I will try to solve your problems.
Almost all problems people had with Designer went away when they updated their machine to have the current ServicePack and the most current drivers for their graphics card (that's the most important part).
Try to get your drivers to their latest release and try again. But still: What version of your JRE? 6 is just the major version but I alos need to know the update number. Open a console, type "java -version" and post the output here.
Thx
Jochen

Mehad

Post by Mehad » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:29 pm

Hello Kyle
Thank you for your answer about the relationship between designer and emulator/tag streamer. But I still want answer for my equation about how I can add new type of reader and tag for the designer and also build new environment like street and gateway of traffic inspection point??????!!!!!!

Please can I know how much type of scenario can we simulate by the Designer? Because I saw only one scenario at all documents that I have about this software, and also exist in user's Guide.
I also wonder about some Components that in the Designer ((RFID Base Models)) like ( Infrared, Producer(DoD96), Producer(sscc96),……)???

Can you give me some kind of scenario that we can do by this software, while I can't do my scenario??
Mehad

kyle
Name: Kyle

Post by kyle » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:54 pm

Mehad,

Are you interested in developing a new reader plugin for Rifidi? We have some documentation on how to get started with that here: http://wiki.rifidi.org/index.php/Develo ... WithReader. Do you know which kind of reader you want to develop? It is usually difficult to develop a reader plugin without access to the physical reader because many times it is hard to understand how a particular reader works from its documentation alone. Also, I would recommend looking at the source code for the Symbol reader, because it is fairly simple and would be the easiest to understand for a new developer.

Again, because Designer and Emulator both use the Rifidi Engine layer, if you develop a reader plugin that works for Rifidi Emulator, it will automatically work for Designer.

Some of the components in Designer are new and may have not yet been explained in the documentation. The Producers produce boxes that are labeled with certain kinds of tags, such as DOD96 or SSCC96. An infrared is a device that is triggered when a box moves past it.

Most of the scenarios we can simulate at this time have to do with box/warehouse and inventory scenarios, so it will probably take quite a bit of work to get some other kinds of scenarios (such as cars) into designer at the moment. One scenario we are simulating at the moment is when a box moves past a reader, it gets pushed by a pusharm according to some custom business logic.

As for how to develop a custom scenario for Designer, I can't help much there, and Jochen will have to answer your questions.